Friday 29 October 2010

what did I do before scrapbooking

Shimelles latest class is filling my days at the moment. Its been great to get back to thinking with a scrapbookers mind. I’ve found its been a great way of making me knuckle down, and practise digital scrapbooking. I am one of those annoying people that never give up on something. So I HAVE to now complete a digital blurb book for this class.

Does anyone out there have any great free digital sites, I could grab some papers or embellishments from. Plus, I am in desperate need of some lovely handwriting inspired fonts. I have very distinctive handwriting. It used to drive my teachers mad at school, as when confronted with an entire page of it. It does make your eyes go a bit funny. Nothing I can find is anything like my style. I seem to slant my writing the opposite way to everyone else !!!

Today's layout was inspired from the numbering prompt sent by shimelle. Its about my friend Julie. We met at a mother & toddler group 23 years ago. We have children of a similar age, in fact we were both pregnant with our second children at the same time. We became very close friends. But there was one problem, I am very sensitive and I only need one slight and that's it for me. I promptly withdraw from a friendship and move on.

It all happened this time over a dinner service Julie borrowed from me  about 13 years ago. We had matching plates , etc. So when she asked could she borrow the entire service I willingly obliged. But I was extremely hurt when I found out it was to be used for a dinner party she was holding for our group of friends and we weren’t invited.

I tried to not let it effect me for days, but on the night in question I was working as a carer and I happened to have a client who lived just doors away. I remember well, how upset I was to see everyone sat in the window laughing having great fun. But that wasn’t the main thing. The days and weeks went on and the dinner service wasn’t returned.

I heard people joking about it. That it was sat in the back of a car,going nowhere. I was really humiliated that I was the brunt of peoples fun. So one day another friend who knew I was very upset returned it to me in a box.

That was it for me. I stopped talking to her, and just got on with my new life.

Who would think that years later when I heard she had left her husband. How much it would effect me. Then when she had a new baby with her new partner it was the chance for me to visit her.

I never expected I would return to the town I had lived in when my children grew up. But return I did.

Julie was one of the few people who didn’t come to visit me in my new home. But when the opportunity came up that I needed someone new to colour my hair. I didn’t hesitate in contacting her. So now we see each other regularly. Its been so nice to have her back in my life.

We are on the same wavelength, different in lots of ways but so similar in others.

So this layout : friends, me, you was about us.

Oh and I got a very interesting email today:-

Hello Karen

I'm Jemma, I'm the editor of videojug.com, the world’s leading ‘how to’ website. We’re about to get bigger and better and I'm looking for some keen & skilled writers to be a part of it.

We've just launched a powerful new self-publishing website that helps people with unique know-how & expertise (i.e. you) connect with our knowledge-hungry audience. The website is called Videojug Pages - http://pages.videojug.com

I am searching for a select group of writers & bloggers to become Founder Members on Videojug Pages. I came across your blog - 'Somewhere over the rainbow' - and was really impressed.

I'd like to invite you to join our growing community of writers

How cool is that.I’m sure it was probably sent to oodles of people but it was still great to get.

In fact it made my day.

7 comments:

Melissa said...

Enjoyed your friendship layout. (You can find some free digital papers & embellishments at JessicaSprague.com - on the left sidebar there's a link to free stuff.)

Sarah said...

I can totally understand where you're coming from with your friend. I have/had (not really sure which it is!) a friend who hurt my by her actions more than once. We hardly talk now and when we do, I never feel really happy anymore.

I'm so pleased that you and your friend are back together.

Congrats on being asked to join videojug. xx

Sarah said...

oh and shabbyprincess is another place for free digi stuff

Dawn said...

Hi Karen - you might find this site useful if your want to create your own fonts http://www.yourfonts.com/

Congrats on your email - I'm sure it would have only been sent to the select few - you do have a real talent :-) xxx

Scrappi Sandi said...

Wow! & again Wow!! You're really getting to grips with the digi stuff & huge congrats on that invite! Love your friends LO...quite brought a lump to my throat!

kym said...

That's really sad !...I'm glad you are friends again, it's a great layout as well...xx

Sian said...

Great, brave post :) And I like the idea of writing about what I did before scrapbooking. Hmm..

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails