Thursday 17 February 2011

Project Life Week six

I can’t believe I am already in week 7 of Project Life. Its amazing how your life can change in just a week.

Here is my week 6 Project Life.

IMG_0593pse

IMG_0596pse-2

I have noticed a big improvement in the colour of my images since I calibrated my monitor. I took the advice of this blog and went and purchased what he recommended. Whist £80+ is a lot of money just to get the colour right, I have found it has taken the guesswork out of editing my images. I have stopped using my laptop to edit photos and I have hooked it up instead to a stationery monitor. Its the monitor that I have calibrated.  You can see a massive difference between the two.

IMG_0643

2011 feb 17 monitor

My laptop is the top image ,slightly distorted because its reset to the monitor size.

My Canon printer has been printing good representations of what I see on the monitor, but as yet I haven’t printed any images from an outside source. I have the ICC profile of the printer at my local Costco, but I haven’t a clue how to set my computer up with it. I am VERY computer unsavvy, so its one step at a time for me.

I have been trying all week to load some actions into my PS Elements software, but I just can’t get it right. Its getting very tempting to get full Photoshop where I understand its a doddle to load actions.  With actions, you just click on them in Photoshop and they do all the editing for you, you then just do some adjustments to your taste. These are widely used by the professional bloggers whose images you view.

Here are some examples of some images I have edited since calibration.

2011 Feb 9th

2011 Feb Tasmins first day at dentists

It was interesting to discover that most of my images straight out of camera were almost spot on colour wise, when I had set a custom white balance. I use a grey card I purchased during Karen Russell's workshop.

I could never tell on my monitor previously, as it greys out the images.

Talking of Karen’s workshop. She asked if any of her old students would make comments about the workshop and in doing so we would be entered into a giveaway to win another workshop. I did indeed make a comment.

Fullscreen capture 17022011 114124.bmp

I made a warning that any students on the course would end up parting with a LOT of cash in the long run. I mean even now I am thinking I NEED full Photoshop CS5, Adobe lightroom and an expo disc, a 85mm Canon lens and the shopping list goes on……………………

and on………………………………….

3 comments:

Elizabeth said...

I'm having the same issue with wanting to get more and more camera goodies after taking the class! I think the 85mm 1.8 is next on my list, lens-wise. I also want a reflector, Black Rapid strap, etc. I haven't tried to calibrate my monitor yet, though I've thought about it. Maybe I'll look into it again.

Scrappi Sandi said...

Glad you're getting to grips with your new toy! Keeping everything crossed for another class win for you!!

Andrea said...

just buy the bloody photoshop !!!!just do it !!!i dare you

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails